Cyber Security, Data Breach & Internet Privacy
Experienced Representation in LA County. Call (855) 997-7522!
With increasing government regulation internationally, nationally and in California, cybersecurity, Internet privacy, and protection of Protected Personal Information (PPI) and corollary Personal Identifiable Information (PII), are all issues that every organization that maintains an online presence must consider and address.
While many organizations have taken some steps to ensure that they are compliant and have even bolstered their network security, many business owners are unaware of the specific notification and reporting requirements that must be complied with if a breach occurs. Even fewer businesses are aware that they can protect themselves against many of these cyber risks by procuring the proper insurance policies and performing internal evaluations, audits and training regarding their network, data security and encryption technology.
Poole Shaffery has developed a Cyber Security, Data Breach & Internet Privacy (CSDBIP) practice group that advises and assists organizations in ensuring regulatory compliance and taking steps to reduce the probability that hackers will gain access to critical networks or compromise systems containing private information identifying clients and employees. Should a breach occur, the Firm advises companies regarding the applicable notification and reporting requirements that must be complied with if an unauthorized acquisition of computerized data of PII or PPI or data security breach occurs.
The CSDBIP team has experience counseling in data and privacy breaches, including unauthorized employee exfiltration of PII and PPI and litigation related to the breaches and even ransomware attacks. The team is familiar with and can advise on issues related to the Global Data Privacy Regulation (GDPR), Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA), California Comprehensive Computer Data Access and Fraud Act (CCDAFA), California Privacy Rights Act (CPRA), and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), among others.
Poole Shaffery 's Cyber Security, Data Breach and Internet Privacy expertise includes:
- Disclosure and notification requirements to California residents whose unencrypted personal information was or was believed to have been compromised;
- Interfacing with the appropriate law enforcement agency while it conducts its investigation of the breach;
- Notification requirements to state government officials;
- Defense of organizations in lawsuits involving internet privacy violations and data breaches and civil litigation against identified perpetrators;
- Advising organizations as to steps that can be taken to bolster their encryption software, servers and security firewalls to reduce the chance of a data breach and implementation of further actions to mitigate potential loss, including incident response plans.
- Advising organizations on how to identify and comply with the myriad overlay of regulatory compliance, particularly in California.
Contact the firm for more information about Cyber Security, Data Breach & Internet Privacy