Santa Clarita Estate Planning Lawyer
Handling Complex Issues for Families in Los Angeles & Throughout California
You've worked hard to develop and grow your business and to invest and amass your estate. And, with continuing attention, those assets will continue to grow and generate income for the rest of your life. But have you taken the steps necessary to assure that your estate will continue to be appropriately managed if you are no longer capable of doing so? Have you planned for the transfer of your assets to family, charity or other beneficiaries at your death or through lifetime giving? Will those transfers minimize estate taxes and avoid probate court costs and delays?
Secure the Legal Help You Need from Poole Shaffery
Poole Shaffery will assist you in the formulation and implementation of an estate plan that carries out your unique intentions.
We are expert in the use of the following:
- Revocable trusts
- Irrevocable trusts
- Life insurance trusts
- Powers of attorney
We can tailor all of the above to your objectives which minimize the expense and complications of asset transfers and administration. Further, the cost of careful planning is more than returned by the avoidance of the probate costs that would have been incurred in the absence of planning.
How Our Los Angeles Estate Planning Lawyers Assist Business Owners
Business owners have the added planning complexities of the efficient transfer of their business operations and of assuring the liquidity necessary for the post-death administration of their estates. Poole Shaffery works closely with business owners to design buy-sell arrangements and succession plans to address these issues.
We respect the concerns of each individual party and recognize that every client has unique circumstances that will need to be handled in its own manner. Our team of Santa Clarita estate planning attorneys will apply their knowledge to your specific circumstance to help address your personal needs.
You owe it to yourself and your family to plan for the future. Trust the Santa Clarita estate planning lawyers at Poole Shaffery for the development and implementation of your estate plan. Contact us online or call (855) 997-7522 for a consultation.
What Steps Should I Take To Protect My Business Assets In The Event Of Incapacity Or Death?
Protecting your business assets in the event of incapacity or death is crucial. At Poole Shaffery, an experienced Santa Clarita estate planning lawyer from our firm can guide you through the necessary steps to ensure that your business is protected when you are no longer able to make decisions or after you have passed on.
Here are some actions you can take to protect your business assets:
- Create a Comprehensive Estate Plan: Be sure to include specific provisions for your business assets. This may involve drafting a will, establishing a trust, or utilizing other estate planning tools that fit your needs.
- Designate a Power of Attorney: Appoint a trusted individual as your power of attorney to make decisions and manage business affairs on your behalf if you become incapacitated.
- Establish a Business Succession Plan: Outline what will happen when it comes to the transfer of ownership and management of your business if you choose to retire or in the event of your incapacity or death.
- Regularly Review and Update Legal Documents: Be sure that your will, trust, partnership agreements, and other legal documents are updated on a regular basis to ensure that any changes in your business or family are taken into consideration, for example, if you get married or divorced, your estate plan will most likely be affected.
- Consider Buy-Sell Agreements: If you have business partners, you may wish to implement buy-sell agreements as a way to plan for the transfer of ownership interests. This may help avoid potential disagreements and disputes.
- Protect Intellectual Property: Be sure to protect your IP by obtaining the proper licenses, trademarks, patents, and copyrights and by properly documenting it.
- Obtain Sufficient Insurance Coverage: Review your business insurance policies to ensure they provide adequate coverage for potential risks and liabilities.
- Communicate Your Plan: Share your business succession and estate plan with key individuals so that they are aware of your intentions.
Taking the steps above can help you protect your business assets and ensure a smooth transition when the time comes. At Poole Shaffery, our estate planning attorneys in Santa Clarita have years of experience helping clients throughout Southern California with their business estate planning needs -- from San Luis Obispo through San Diego County, we are ready to help you! We’ll provide expert guidance to create a plan that reflects your wishes and protects your business interests.
To learn more about our estate planning services in Santa Clarita, call (855) 997-7522 to schedule a consultation and speak with one of our skillful attorneys.