Professional Liability Lawyer
The defense of a professional in a malpractice action creates a multitude
of issues involving both the litigation and the resulting effect on the
professional's reputation and practice. The business attorneys at Poole Shaffery & Koegle, LLP have significant experience in identifying and resolving
such issues through their defense of attorneys, architects, engineers,
accountants, directors and officers, and real estate brokers and agents,
Poole Shaffery & Koegle, LLP defends professionals when they are insured by
errors and omissions policies and when they are self-insured. With established
expertise in complex civil litigation as well as success in the alternative
dispute resolution processes, Poole Shaffery & Koegle, LLP provides professionals
with vigorous, thorough and cost-efficient representation.
Poole Shaffery & Koegle, LLP 's experience with professional liability defense includes:
- With respect to attorney malpractice litigation, the preparation of defense
strategies which move the litigation towards resolution through dispositive
motions and alternative dispute resolution processes.
- With respect to director and officer liability actions, our attorneys have
consulted with and defended officers and directors in a variety of litigated
matters including employment, harassment, breach of fiduciary duty, intellectual
property, and breach of contract claims.
- With respect to architects and engineers, attorneys at Poole Shaffery & Koegle, LLP have defended design professionals in malpractice claims in the context
of construction defect and construction delay and disruption claims.
- With respect to the defense of accountants in malpractice actions, Poole Shaffery & Koegle, LLP have counseled and defended accountants with respect
to claims concerning auditing, tax preparation, and financial advising.
Representative matters for the Professional Liability Group include:
- Obtained defense judgment in Los Angeles Superior Court in 2011 following
trial involving alleged fraud, breach of fiduciary duty involving former
- Obtained a dismissal of disciplinary action by State of California against
structural engineer in relation to work he had performed on the Hollywood
Subway Tunnel which collapsed.
- Represented medical doctor in disciplinary hearings before State of California
Administrative Law Judge regarding alleged misconduct.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of employer in action brought by two
former employees who alleged that they had been terminated for reasons
that violated public policy.
- Obtained a dismissal of all claims in return for a mutual waiver of costs
in a claim for sexual Orientation harassment, disability discrimination
and wrongful termination in violation of public policy by a former regional
manager of a Fortune 500 company.
- Defended mechanical engineer in arbitration before the American Arbitration
Association on claims by institutional owner that defective design of
the HVAC system in a laboratory building led to construction delays and
- Defended architects in a construction defect matters involving the design
of office buildings where the allegations included that the architect's
design of the curtain wall system resulted in significant water intrusion
and resulting property damage.
- Defended attorneys in malpractice actions where the underlying representations
involved real estate and business transactions.