Ms. Read is a member of Poole & Shaffery, LLP’s employment group, focusing on counseling employers with every aspect of their employment relationships.
Previously, Ms. Read was a dedicated litigator, defending employers in lawsuits ranging from wage and hour class actions to sexual harassment claims. Understanding how employment disputes unfolded in court has offered Ms. Read unique insight into what workplace practices and procedures are necessary to limit liability, and how an employer can potentially prevent a matter from advancing into litigation. Ms. Read’s experience has further enabled her to determine the best strategies for dealing with difficult personnel issues faced by employers.
The focus of Ms. Read’s practice includes, but is not limited to, providing the following services for employer-clients:
- Advice on pre-employment and hiring practices;
- Wage and Hour Audits, including a review of timekeeping policies and procedure;
- Employee handbook and personnel policy preparation and revisions;
- Leave of absence policies and procedures;
- Disability accommodations and requirements;
- Complaints of workplace harassment, discrimination, and retaliation, including providing external workplace investigations;
- Affirmative Action Plans and related policies;
- Employee discipline and termination procedures;
- Harassment Prevention Training compliant with AB 1825 and AB 2053; and
- Negotiation and drafting of severance agreements.
Ms. Read is a member of the Labor and Employment Sections of the California State Bar and the Los Angeles County Bar Association.